Make soap from lard.
- Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH).
- Glass beaker and stirring rod.
- Bunsen Burner or other means of heating solution.
- Mold for making soap bars (any flexible plastic container).
Gloves, labcoat and appropriate eyeware should be worn when handling the 6M NaOH. It should be used in a well-ventilated area, preferably in a fume hood. DO NOT BREATHE THE FUMES. Wash with vinegar should you get some on your skin (have some vinegar handy before starting the experiment) -DO NOT wash with water!. Mixing lye with water results in a chemical reaction that creates extreme heat - hence, washing lye off your hands (for example) with water will only initiate that reaction on your hand, resulting in chemical burn.
How to doEdit
3. Melt fat under low heat to 110º F (49 ºC) and add NaOH solution with stirring until the base has completely reacted with the lard (about 20 to 30 minutes)
4. Pour the mixture of base and lard into molds.
5. Let this cool and sit for a day or two. Let the soap cakes cure for three weeks before using.